The importance of certification courses is increasing exponentially, Certificate courses are designed to develop the skills in the freshly passout students and the professionals involved in interdisciplinary work profiles.
Opting for certification courses help the candidates to learn in demand skills, be more compatible with their job and for upgrading their knowledge at the same time.
These courses are of short duration (2 weeks to a few months) and are designed considering the industrial needs, Making it more application oriented and up to date with the latest industrial requirements. Additionally, These courses give flexibility for attending the lecture as per the candidate’s convenience, Which makes it suitable for working professionals with busy schedules.
Due to versatile job profiles which are demanding interdisciplinary skills, availability and penetration of the internet, The market of certification courses is blooming like never before which is benefiting both, The academicians by providing a better way of knowledge exchange and learners by opening the ways of learning variety of skills by surpassing the conventional degree courses which would mandate them to study a set of skill rather than the skill of interest.
Considering the same, the Government of India has promoted online learning platforms like SWAYAM by collaborating with institutes like NPTEL, IGNOU,IIM Bangalore, NIOS recently in 2013, which has opened the gateway to a large number of online certification courses designed by academia and industry experts.
Internationally, US MOOCs (Massive open online courses) were introduced by collaboration with top international universities in 2008, Leading the foundation of online certification courses.
Apart from the courses offered by the SWAYAM, Based on the need and expertise, Various private institutes and organizations have started providing the online courses on a variety of topics. If you are the one willing to launch an online course, This article will help you to understand the steps for the same.
Who can create the online certification course?
- Companies for own employees (Awarded certificate is held valid only inside organization, For internal organizational activities like promotion or appreciation)
- Academic organizations (Awarded certificates are held valid in industry and academia, The courses are designed by industry-academia collaboration)
- Software companies (Awarded certificate held valid by other organizations as well, The original software developer organization validates that candidate can efficiently use the software)
- Authority designed courses (These course are of little longer duration, With better acceptability across industry and academia)
Steps to create online certification course
1. Selection of course topic:
The course topic is the most crucial factor to consider . The topic should be relevant to your interest and expertise. The skill must be in demand in the industry. Up to date knowledge of the instructor is mandatory for the course to be successful in the long run.
Factors to consider while choosing the course topic
- Area of expertise of course instructor
- Novelty of the topic
- Demand of skill in the chosen area of interest
- Scope of the course topic
- Specificity of the topic
- Target candidates and industries
2. Syllabus framing for course
The topic selection for the online certification course shall be done by industry academia collaboration. In demand industry oriented skills must be the part of the syllabus. The points in the syllabus must meet the expectations of the niche targeted audience.
Factors to analyze while choosing syllabus topics
- Scope of the topic (Topic should specific and clear)
- Period of proposed course
- Suitability of topics with industry
- Custom topics oriented to industry of interest
- Foundation course for entry level students
3. Defining course structure
The duration and nature of course is defined based on the syllabus requirements. Certain courses are made in two parts, Foundation course for the entry level students and the professional course for experienced individuals.
Hands-on training sessions or the practical demonstration sessions should be part of course structure for better understanding of the topic.
The assignment and project based learning should be considered as part of the course wherever possible.
4. Marketing and course publicity
The target audience should be pitched with the course information by following various marketing techniques, Various communication channels for marketing are-
- Social media marketing
- Bulk mail
- Flyers and billboards at relevant places
- Pamphlet and other printed aids
- Collaboration with other institutions
- Engaging students by campus ambassadors programme
5. Online assessments
The time to time online assessments should be defined in the course structure to keep check on the candidate’s progress. Online exam platforms are available while help you to conduct the secure online assessments with variety of additional features
Factors to consider while selecting online assessment platforms:
- Online exam security
- Proctoring solution (Allows you to monitor the candidates)
- Platform customizability
- Candidate data storage facility
6. Result generation and certification
Result generation and certification is considered the most crucial task while implementing the online certification course. Considering the large volume of candidates applying for the course, It becomes a tedious task to manually calculate the results and generate certificates
Considering the the same, certain online assessment platforms have developed the technology that helps to streamline result generation and certification process by-
- Automated result generation
- Automatic certificate generation
- Communication channel for certificate delivery
7. Student data storage and retrieval
The candidate data, Question papers, Results and awarded certificates need to be stored by the online certificate course organizer. It is hard to handle the high volume data manually, Also, The data backup can be a cause of concern in manual operation.
Certain online exam platforms make it possible by virtue of technology to
- Store the student data for future reference
- Store the exam configuration and questions
- Store the results
- Store the certificates
- Represent the leadership board and candidate marks statistically
Creating your own online certification course is certainly not a cakewalk. But this tedious and strenuous task can be made easy by adopting an online examination platform.
Eklavvya is an award winning platform which is technologically advanced and offers a plethora of benefits. With the help of Eklavvya, you can define course structure, conduct online exams and also generate results and certifications on completion.
Eklavvya provides you with innumerable options to conduct online exams wherein you can select subject and language, difficulty level, marks or grades, pattern of questions, subjective or objective type of exam, etc. as per your choice. It also provides you options to store data and retrieve it at any time.
As Eklavvya is tried and tested for reliability, security and user-friendliness, it has been adopted by many reputed institutes over the world. Now it is your chance to adopt Eklavvya for your institution or organization as leave all worries behind!