Our way of education has changed tremendously in the last 2 years. Children going to school was considered the norm and all of it changed due to the 2020 pandemic as schools shut down and children started learning online. In this article, we’re going to give you our top 10 interactive e-learning tools for kids to make their lives easier.
E-learning is a formalized learning system which is done with the help of electronic gadgets such as laptops, mobiles and other electronic devices. Listed below are a few advantages of e-learning –
- Lectures can be attended a number of times – Unlike teaching that happens in a classroom, online lectures can be recorded and thus watched multiple times by students who have difficulties understanding a concept.
- Online education offers access to updated content – Sometimes textbooks can be a bit outdated. When studying subjects such as politics or current events, things keep changing constantly and with online e-learning, students can be better updated with subjects and stay relevant.
- Reduced costs – E-learning is significantly cheaper when compared to physical classrooms as when students attend school, the cost of books, electricity, space, equipment must all be taken into consideration. However in e-learning, a lot of these costs don’t count thus making it an easier option.
- Eco friendly – E-learning is a paperless way of learning which helps protect the environment. Distance based learning programs have been known to have generated about 90% less power and 85% less amount of CO2 emissions when compared to the traditional methods of learning making it a highly environmentally friendly way of learning.
- E-learning can be personalised – E-learning can be personalised to cater to the unique teaching goals of the educator. Learners can choose their own path which they navigate at their own pace. Moreover, students can record these lectures, go back to them at their convenience and as many times as they please to make sure they fully understand a topic.
E-learning is still a new form of education and educators and students are still learning new soft skills and techniques in which they can make this process easier and better.
Top 10 interactive e-learning tools for kids in 2021
Listed below are our top ten e-learning tools to make learning easier for kids
- ABC Mouse – ABC Mouse is an online paid platform with a monthly subscription. The platform is designed for children between the ages of 2-8 years of age. Parents can view their child’s progress through a site progress bar which also has an internal reward system. This tool can be used to teach children math, art, science, reading and social studies. What makes this e-learning tool good is that the site is constantly updated and is highly interactive.
- Cool math – This website is perfect for children who want to learn math. This platform has a variety of lessons which are curated to help students with difficult subjects and they make it fun and interactive for children. The platform is free to use and covers various subjects such as algebra, calculus and pre-algebra. They’ve added fun activities and animations to solve math problems whilst making the learning process more enjoyable for children.
- National geographic kids – If you want your children to learn more about the world around them, then this website is for you. The website is for children above the ages of 10 years. They have a wide variety of content for kids to learn from such as animals, science, environment, experiments and many more. They cover this content through interactive videos and articles. The website is free to use and is a great addition to their existing education. New content is added on a regular basis.
- Starfall – Although mostly free, some content is available after a subscription fee annually. The main focus of this website is reading but they cover a variety of other subjects such as art, languages and math. The website is game-based making it interactive. This website is perfect for kids studying at a kindergarten level up to grade 3. The app is great for kids who have learning disabilities such as dyscalculia, dyslexia as the website was designed by professionals who struggled with it in childhood.
- Wonderopolis – If your children ask unusual questions then this is the platform for them. The platform offers exciting videos and features such as is the 5 second rule really true or why do things rust? They have a variety of subjects which they cover such as social studies, math, science, language, culture, technology and art. The website is free to use for children and is perfect for e-learning.
- NASA kids club – Is your child taking a keen interest in space and science? The website is free to use for anyone who wants to read articles and watch educational videos on space and science. On the platform children can also play games which make it fun. Although the subject topics aren’t extensive, it’s a good platform for children to develop an interest and learn more about space, astronauts, science, etc.
- Highlights kids – Highlight kids is a free website which has games, jokes, videos and activities for children between the ages of 6 -12. Although not very academic, this is a good platform for children to acquire new information whilst learning. Children can even post their own content on this website.
- TED-Ed – This is an interactive educational platform that’s curated by students, teachers and animators. This platform is perfect for those who want to expand their knowledge and have good ideas. This is the perfect platform for those who want to take an active participation in their own learning process as well as that of others. The website allows for democratizing access to information for both students and teachers.
- ClassDojo – The ClassDojo website was designed to improve student behavior. Here teachers can provide instant feedback so that good behavior is rewarded with points so that students would be motivated to be on their best behavior. With real-time notifications, teachers can also record their behavior and this information can later be shared with administrators and parents.
- Storybird – Storybirds main aim is to promote the reading and writing skills in children through stories. On the website teachers can create artistic and interactive books online and has a simple and easy interface. The stories which are created on the platform can be sent via email, can be printed and can be embedded in blogs and has many other options to choose from. On the platform, teachers can also create various projects for students, organize classes, give constant feedback and grade their progress.
All the tools mentioned above are perfect for students who want to learn whilst having fun. Learning should be made interactive and interesting so that children can stay engaged and have fun. When lessons are made boring and not interactive children are far more likely to zone out and focus on other things which is difficult for teachers and parents especially in the digital space where you can’t always track progress the way you would in a physical classroom.